Thursday, 11 July 2013

Book Review – ‘Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom #1)’ by Marie Hall



Book Review – ‘Her Mad Hatter (Kingdom #1)’ by Marie Hall ~ 4.5 Stars!

‘Her Mad Hatter’ was one of those books that is just mindbogglingly clever. The story shouldn’t work, but Marie Hall somehow manages to crack this story, and it was a great read.
I’m one of those people who has always found ‘Alice in Wonderland’ quite disconcerting. As a child, the whole concept of Wonderland confused me, so it was a strange experience for me to read this story and find myself engaging with characters we know from childhood and seeing a different side of them portrayed.

It took a little while for me to get used to seeing The Hatter as a male sex symbol and maybe that is why I couldn’t quite give this book five stars despite it being a really great read. I feel like if the book had been a little longer and more backstory was given about the Hatter, and a little more description of his looks, I might have warmed to him earlier in the story. I loved the amount of focus the author put on the psychological aspects of the Hatter though, and I loved reading the passages of the story from his perspective as his narrative was full of riddles and rhymes and the author so cleverly put herself in his shoes and really looked inside his head.

In a nutshell; I can’t wait to read the rest of the Kingdom Series!

A great, fun read that I would recommend to any lovers of ‘The Alice in Wonderland’ who would like to see a happy ending for Alice and the Hatter.

4.5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment